Helen Gilbert MSc MA
Southern Association for Psychotherapy and Counselling, UKCP Accredited
I am an experienced psychotherapist with particular experience in life crises, substance misuse and family estrangement. I am the clinical manager for the national charity Stand Alone, a charity supporting people experiencing family estrangement. I also have an established practice of private clients, working remotely and in person.
In my work I try to create a space where clients can experience themselves more fully and reflect on their life and identity. I see therapy as a series of conversations between the therapist and the client where everything and anything can be thoughtfully explored. This process of paying attention to feelings and life experiences, making sense of and working through these, can bring about a greater sense of freedom, understanding and self-acceptance
I use my creative writing background to run occasional courses where writing is used as a therapeutic tool and sometimes use reflective writing alongside talking therapy.
The psychotherapeutic specialisms I offer are family estrangement, substance misuse, parenthood (both moving in to parenthood and moving on and regaining identity) surviving and deconstructing from faith/religion.
I graduated from Roehampton University with an MSc in Psychotherapy and Counselling in 2015. Prior to that I completed an MA in Creative Writing and Personal Development with the University of Sussex in 2005.
I will gain my Postgraduate Diploma in Supervision from Southern Association for Psychotherapy and Counselling (SAFPAC) in June 2023.
I also offer supervision to psychotherapists and counsellors.
Research and publications:
- Research dissertation: ‘Ethical dilemmas in working with suicidal clients’. 2015
- Presentation at conference, Love Sex & Psychotherapy: Is love unconditional? Working with family estrangement: 2018
- Published in European Journal of Psychotherapy and ‘Love, Sex and Psychotherapy in the Post-Romantic Era:’ 2019
- Paper: ‘Efficacy of a support group intervention’ Published in Evaluation and Program Planning 2022.
- Occasional guest editor for European Journal of Psychotherapy & Counselling.
- I uses my creative writing background to run occasional courses where writing is used as a therapeutic tool and sometimes use reflective writing alongside talking therapy.